possible 1.8/1.0 map download?

Hey Everybody. :)

I don't know how many people are interested but I will ask on everyones behalf, would it be possible to get a world save [of your choice Edit] uploaded?.

I suppose this question is directed @Mr. Cub ;D

Thanks for reading, Take it easy.

~Skits.

Comments

• Umm, Any idea if/when we can get a world save?, obviously in your spare time if you don't mind Edit?.
    {I know you get super busy with work and maintaining the server}

I personally would like to explore the map(s) and finish of a few old projects that I never the chance to complete when I even get time to play Minecraft. :'(

Btw, is anyone else interested?.

Thank-you.
    ~Skits

• I'm a bit confused with what you are asking. Do you wish for the current "old world" which was created around January of 2011 or the current "new world" from November or so? I highly doubt that we will be realeasing the current world any time soon as it would allow people to see others' secret storage vaults and ore locations and such, but I believe the old world might have a better chance of being released. I don't necessarily speak for Edit on this of course.

On an unrelated note, why can't you do your projects on the server itself? :P
  • Inteligence said:

I'm a bit confused with what you are asking. Do you wish for the current "old world" which was created around January of 2011 or the current "new world" from November or so? I highly doubt that we will be realeasing the current world any time soon as it would allow people to see others' secret storage vaults and ore locations and such, but I believe the old world might have a better chance of being released. I don't necessarily speak for Edit on this of course.

Hey Intel, Thanks for the reply and for clarifying it, You made some valid points.

I meant the "old world".
    Pretty hard to explain 100% accurately, Thought it would be pretty obvious, Ill try put it in lamens terms for those that might not understand.

Life, Work, Family Responsibility, Bills, Looking after the farm. [Keeping a roof over my head]

EDIT: I also can't always get online.

Take Care.
    ~Skits

• Actually....Since I'm the only one interested for the old world save and this thread has only received a single reply, Please delete this thread, I no longer care.

The lack of input makes it quite clear indeed.

• Sorry dude, I've been busy with real life to be able to write a response that matters, plus im quite sick today...... and i still had to come to work, being that the only other staff (my boss0 IS ON VACATION.

the problem with letting people download the maps is simply that i dont want to burn through our monthly bandwidth limit from the server host, or my house (yes, i have a 150gig limit at home), and free file sharing sites arent big enough for the maps.
  • Yeah, I've seen the map file sizes, even compressed they are pretty huge. Unfortunately, compressing them on the server would probably be a recipe for lag, given our current resource usage, and the tool we were using for compressing them keeps corrupting the archives. On my connection it would probably take at least several hours to download the old map from the server uncompressed. Of course my connection sucks, but even with twice the speed it would take a long time. The only viable way to distribute the map would be via bittorrent, and I'm not sure any of us know anything about setting one up, and we would still need to get the map off the server first.

I checked the forums several times over the last week, but didn't have the time to write a proper response, so I apologize. Unfortunately, I've been very busy myself lately, so much so that I haven't been able to get on for more than an hour or so a week. All that being said, I didn't mean to make you feel like we didn't care about your request.
  • So far, I can tell you that the old world is 455 Megs zipped, and 672 Megs unzipped.

Way too big for free file sharing.
  • You could always send it to only 1 person, who has no internet limits, and that person would put it up as torrent, and share it.

Also that way guy, who takes the responsibility from that can say, that he's / she's doing legal file sharing with torrents, and make ISP to allow file sharing for you (if they ever block you).
  • If only we could remove the forests and empty bits but nobody would want to do that or atleast the ones who have the map
    kinda ironic you have to share the map so you are able to share the map
  • Baab, if you dont have limits, understand torrents, and want to be the vanguard for sharing the old world I don't have a problem in getting it to you.

Oh, and skits, check your PM if you havent yet.
  • I wouldn't mind pruning the chunks and torrenting it if you guys want (12 megabits down, 1 megabit up... a little slow admittedly).
  • Inteligence said:

I wouldn't mind pruning the chunks and torrenting it if you guys want (12 megabits down, 1 megabit up... a little slow admittedly).
    That makes my internet connection look like 56k.
  • Aarchel said:

[quote author=Inteligence link=topic=1642.msg8369#msg8369 date=1331754285]
    I wouldn't mind pruning the chunks and torrenting it if you guys want (12 megabits down, 1 megabit up... a little slow admittedly).
    That makes my internet connection look like 56k.
    [/quote]

yeah, at best, i got half that speed, more likely less.
  • I'm lucky if I get 100-150kps nowdays since I no longer have broadband but it does the job, just.
    I'd be quite content with everyone else's connection speeds.
  • Couldn't quite get the chunk trimming down. If I am a total idiot and the torrent is borked tell me... I'm gonna seed as long as I remember.
    .torrent download link 1: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7152020_702_14134795
    .torrent download link 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?1w4179yq528hb9a

You will need a .7z-capable un-archiver (not including OS X because it sucks, find your own programs)
    7-Zip - Windows
    p7zip - Linux

...and a torrent client.
    http://utorrent.com/ - Windows
    transmission - Linux
  • thx intel
  • Note:

I suggest using CJB'S MODPACK to disable fire-spread & fire-damage.
  • Aww, but then you can't re-enact the "Grand Del Rio Fire of 2011!"
  • Hey guys its been a while, scrolling through this forum really does bring back some old memories, im also after the old world from 2011 as I had so much input and really want to travel to see and remember what we did, like the Tower of Babil and everything, those links are no longer valid, just wondering if i could get hold of it somehow :)